Located on Waterport Wharf Road this old mole protected the seaward entrance to Gibraltar. It was originally the old Spanish pier built during the reign of King Philip III. Guns were placed at each of the gaps (embrasures) during the Great Siege. This mole is an extension of Chatham Counterguard; a drawbridge named the ‘Chatham Wicket’ led on to the mole (the cemented blocked up opening in the sea wall is still visible). In front of this old battery there is a monument dedicated to Admiral Sir George Rooke, person responsible for the British capture of the Rock in 1704.