Three years after the opening of the Alameda, on April 1819, Sir George Don, accompanied by the Naval, Military and Civil officers of the Garrison, went to the gardens to unveil the bust of The Duke of Wellington. A Guard of Honour and four bands attended. The monument had been funded by deducting a day’s pay from all the members of the garrison. The bust had been cast in bronze from guns captured by the Duke of Wellington. It stands on a marble pillar that had been brought from the Roman ruins of Lepida (Libya).