Wellington Front was built by convict labour in 1840. There were over 900 convicts working on the reconstruction of the walls and other defensive works. Off the Front was the anchorage of the ‘Owen Glendower’, a convict ship renamed after a Welsh Prince and base of the convict establishment. The ship’s bell, which is now on exhibition at the Gibraltar Museum, rang whenever a convict escaped. Eventually, in 1875, it was found that it was cheaper to employ local labour, as the convicts did not work hard enough to earn their keep.